Saturday, June 6, 2009

The silly little wedding details

For many years I planned weddings for a living. They ranged from small settings to grand affairs. I have experienced and seen most everything you can imagine from the breakdown of the "bridezilla" over sweaty champagne flutes in 90 degree weather or the calm collected couple that really got married for the right reasons but had the grand affair because they could.

As I venture into the planning of my own wedding I have realized just how blessed I have been to have experienced all those other weddings. Here are just a few of the many things I learned from planning weddings:

1) None of it really matters, the church is the ONLY part that is necessary (and a court house/park/other building will do fine too)
2) It will always be about what everyone elses expectations are and never about what the bride and groom really care about....cause they get that at the church.
3) No one knows what was planned except the caterer, the "to-be" couple and maybe the parents or those few involved in the actual event planning so if the plan fails....who cares.
4) It will always work out no matter what is thrown at you
5) If it rains...get wet, if its hot....cool off, if it snows...throw snowballs, if it storms...stay inside.


Here are a list of absolutely necessary items:
Groom
Bride to be
Officiant to perform Ceremony
Marriage License
Proper attire
Rings (or some form that solidifies the exchange of vows)
The will to give, receive and meet in the middle.
To want to love, cherish, honor and respect.
The ability to be yourself always and make yourself better because you have your better half.

In most cases and in addition to the above items you should have:
Friends/Family/Wedding party
Possibly something to eat or drink in celebration and a place to gather for the celebration.

If you have all the above then go, be in love and get married......For Better and For Worse!

Everything else.........just silly little details.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Babe! Just as the details of the wedding start to frustrate me and i wonder why we didnt just run off to vegas, i read this and it calms me down! I have been blessed with finding the love of my life and your right by saying that marrying you and spending the rest of my life with you IS ALL THAT MATTERS! I love you Jamie!

    ReplyDelete