Sunday, February 17, 2013

A bath with mommy

One day while enjoying a nightly bath, a mom says to her daughter "I love you."  And the daughter, about three years old, replies "I love you too."  The mom says "How much?"  The daughter takes a few moments to think and says "I love you all the grains of sand in the world."

This phrase became one that would become treasured by the mom.  The daughter would write it on Mother's Day cards, Birthday cards, Christmas cards,etc.  This phrase was special to them both but more special to the mom, at least for the most part.

Then one day the girl, now all grown up, had to write these words she had written most of her life... the simple act would shake her to the core.  It took her about 30 minutes but she finally got it written out completely.  The words "I love you all the grains of sand in the world" was all she needed on the card on the flowers at her moms funeral.  Simple yet so very powerful and meaningful.

Even to this day when I close my eyes and say those words chills shoot through my body.  I'm that little girl that had to think so hard to find a way to describe my love for my mom through words.  Now those words mean so very much to me that to find a way to describe that emotion and connection.....well that would probably take another bath with mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment